Moving Forward Together
Exports of Haitian handcraft have shrink from $18.3 million in 1992 to $2.6 milliom in 2009. But the talent and work ethic of Haitian craftsman have not.
Talented Haitians are ready and eager to recapture the losses brough about by the trade embargo of the 1990s, subsequent internal political deadlock, and the devastation of the January 2010 earthquake.
The Artisan Business Network, developed jointly by Fairwinds Trading and HAND/EYE Fund, empowers Haitians with entrepreneurial tools, design input, and market access. The Network can make essential improvements in earnings and community wellbeing through commerce based in Haiti’s profound artisanal culture.
ABN’s network of three depots located in Jacmel, Port au Prince and Croix-des-Bouquets, offers a wide range of artisanal products from the independent ateliers of Haiti, and supports the delivery of handmade product to customers around the world.
The depots are fully owned and operated by Haitian entrepreneurs, and connected to customers in North America, Europe and Asia. In addition to the skill and leadership of its co-founders, the ABN network draws upon the talents of product and logistics advisors dedicated to the success of Haiti’s artisans.
ABN helps you access the best selection of Haitian artisan products, by providing these and other types of business and logistics support:
• Translating and processing client purchase orders (POs)
• Generating and distributing POs to artisan groups
• Communicating with buyers, group leaders and artisans
• Negotiating pricing with artisans
• Local transport of goods
• Warehousing prior to shipping
• Packing, including packing lists
• Facilitation of shipping according to client needs and choices
• Providing information on duties, tariffs and freight costs
• Completion of export documents
• Communication with import customs broker
• Maintaining quality assurance with step-by-step oversight
- On-time delivery assurance
- Assisting with ethical standards compliance
- Providing EDI-compliant link to retailers
- Design and product development support
- Development of media content (artisan stories, photography, etc.)
- Additional communication/reporting to client